Just Back from 2 days in Hong Kong

Michael14R

Early Adopter
Jun 4, 2019
Philippines
www.zzrrider.com
I have just got back from 2 days in Hong Kong. This was my second trip there for work in August. You can feel the tension in the air. I have been going to Hong Kong for 16 years and really fear for what may happen if the protests continue. I was lucky, both my flights were ok but the airport was closed before and after my flights and flights cancelled. The demonstrators approached me to explain their actions and apologize. I love Hong Kong. It is a vibrant city with a mix of eastern and western cultures, perhaps the only city like it in the world. I am fearful that this unrest will only end in tears. Someone will get killed and then there may be action taken that will permanently destroy the image of Hong Kong as the "Pearl Of The Orient".

RiderAJ

Chief Proprietor and Board Lord
Staff member
Sep 11, 2018
Wow, Michael. I am glad you are safe.

I've never been to Hong Kong - or that part of the world, actually. The closest I've been was my time in Tashkent. I would like to see Hong Kong - but I struggle with the sticky weather in that part of the world, so it'd probably be an in and out trip for me.

We like to say "hindsight is 20/20" and within that context..... I guess what is happening there was to be expected, to some extent. The hope was that when the Brits turned the island over to Chinese control in the '90s that their liberal way of life there would spread to the mainland, rather than the mainland cracking down on Hong Kong. It looks like the authoritarians from the mainland are getting their way. This is sad on a human level and might be catastrophic for the global economy. Hong Kong is an engine of finance, commerce and innovation not just for Asia, but for the world. A crackdown on their economic autonomy and activity will reverberate across the globe, including here. While outward appearances usually mean little, the Chinese president has a look of uncertainty or dazed confusion on his face. First, the (long overdue) trade war with the US and now this.

As for the US: I am disappointed we have not made a very strong statement in support of freedom and liberty and in support of all those who wish to live under those principles in HK. And everywhere, for that matter. This had (maybe still has) the potential to be Drumpf's "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" moment, ala Reagan. I will admit to a flush of pride when seeing snaps of some of the HK protesters waving Old Glory. We need to support them. And that there might be a dual benefit to keeping economic pressure on the Chinese to end the trade war is an added bonus to vocally supporting the protesters.

I pray that cooler heads prevail in China and that there is no loss of life or further loss of liberty for all Hong Kongers.

Anti

Oct 6, 2018
Wow!! Glad you got back home okay and glad none of your flights got delayed or cancelled! I think that's a miracle in and of itself -- I've seen some videos of protesters at the Hong Kong Airport and it looks like an absolute madhouse.

I saw yesterday that China sent a massive military convoy to the Hong Kong border. Given China's history of dealing with protesters (Tiananmen Square), I could see this ending very badly.

Anti

Oct 6, 2018
Agreed. Pray it doesn't happen.
I'm hoping that because the proverbial "eyes of the world" are all on Hong Kong watching how China will handle this, China will feel pressured into seeking out a peaceful resolution.

Then again, it's China... so who knows.

Yada3

Oct 1, 2018
I have just got back from 2 days in Hong Kong. This was my second trip there for work in August. You can feel the tension in the air. I have been going to Hong Kong for 16 years and really fear for what may happen if the protests continue. I was lucky, both my flights were ok but the airport was closed before and after my flights and flights cancelled. The demonstrators approached me to explain their actions and apologize. I love Hong Kong. It is a vibrant city with a mix of eastern and western cultures, perhaps the only city like it in the world. I am fearful that this unrest will only end in tears. Someone will get killed and then there may be action taken that will permanently destroy the image of Hong Kong as the "Pearl Of The Orient".

Did you have the rice? :ROFLMAO:

No joke - I am glad you are OK. That place seems like it is right on the edge.

RiderAJ

Chief Proprietor and Board Lord
Staff member
Sep 11, 2018
I'm hoping that because the proverbial "eyes of the world" are all on Hong Kong watching how China will handle this, China will feel pressured into seeking out a peaceful resolution.

Then again, it's China... so who knows.
Yes, the world is watching and I think that helps - but only a little. Call me the ugly American if you must, but I think the hard line communists are less concerned about spilling blood than they are about what a violent crackdown on HK will do to their economy. And no one knows.

A coincidence certainly, but the trade war with us has to be playing a role. Some reports say their economy has slowed dramatically and businesses are closing already as a result of the tariffs with unemployment growing. And there's another round of tariffs looming in December. Can they afford more economic turmoil - this right at their doorstep? And the USA-China trade battle is already reverberating through the global economy. A hard Brexit looms. The UK and German economies have already slowed. If China whacks HK......................

This might be the John Wayne in me, but I wonder if the trade war has already spared some lives. It is just a coincidence - lucky timing, a fluke of happenstance - that just might be saving lives.

And all this triggered by a proposed extradition law.

Yada3

Oct 1, 2018
I wonder if the trade war has already spared some lives. It is just a coincidence - lucky timing, a fluke of happenstance - that just might be saving lives.
You cant tell me Trump isn't the luckiest 'Murican politician ever. This is just the latest.

About us

• Our board was born from an idea that motorcyclists of all shapes and sizes would want to congregate and chat, regardless of what they ride. Our board is both brand and style agnostic. Ride a cruiser? Join the fun! Sport bikes or adventure touring your thing? Jump right in. Not a rider but interested in learning more? This is the place for you. We welcome everyone from everywhere for spirited, lively and even critical discussion with a focus on things two-wheeled, and on other topics, too. While we may ride different brands and have differing opinions, our love of the motorcycle life binds us. We continue to work each day to make this the best motorcycle-focused chat board you’ll find anywhere.

Quick Navigation

User Menu